We are an essential service and will remain operational during alert level 4.
Women’s Refuge is committed to providing a safe response during the Covid-19 pandemic and making staff and client
well-being the utmost priority.
We are working closely with Government and Police to ensure we can be there for women and children who need assistance during this time, however our services while include less face to face contact where possibleThe pandemic response of social distancing and self-isolation may mean that women living with family violence are more at risk, which given trends in other countries is a scenario we are prepared for.
Can I still reach out to Women’s Refuge?
Yes. Women’s Refuge is an essential service and while our services may look different we are here for women and children experiencing Family Violence 24/7. We will be minimising face to face contact (telephone and online guidance will be used whenever possible) in order to keep everyone safe.
What if someone becomes unwell in a safe house?
We have protocols in place to ensure that this is dealt with in accordance to Government guidelines. We are also utilising alternative accommodation options in order to maintain isolation procedures.
What if I am worried about someone I know?
If you are concerned about somebody else, you can support them by keeping in touch with them. First and foremost be aware that during the lock-down period their conversations and activities may be monitored:
- Agree on a ‘code word’ in advance with your friend. If they message you that word, you can call the police and ask them to check on them.
- Ask them if they have the essential things they need (such as food, medication, and sanitary items) and help them to get them. Some abusive people will withhold these items.
- Help them to feel less isolated by setting up regular times to talk to you and to others.
- Encourage them to get in touch with Women’s Refuge if they feel unsafe.
What if I feel unsafe?
We have several ways you can get in contact:
-Ring our crisis line on 0800REFUGE
– Send a FB message through Womens Refuge FB Page
– Email us on email@example.com
– Send a confidential message that is through our Shielded Site feature found on The Warehouse, NZ Post and many other major websites.